Tuesday, February 11, 2014

What's up with blogs?

Blogs, or weblogs, have proliferated the Internet during the first two decades of the 2000s. Their flexibility in terms of content and the ability for authors to maintain relative anonymity have helped to create an information powerhouse on the Web.

But is this tool for everyone? Can it be applied in the classroom?

During my undergrad years, I knew several classmates who had made forays into the blogging world. They blogged about topics of interest to them personally. To me, I didn't see why these conversations couldn't occur in person. In addition, I didn't feel that I had anything of interest about which to write. Thus, I avoided blogging during this time.

Now that I have started my career in education, I have begun to see benefits in the use of blogs. By sharing information on the internet about personal preferences, goings on in the classroom, and questions about teaching, I can connect with an endless community of like-minded professionals online. Once an author discovers a purpose for writing, the possibilities for blogs are endless.

In the classroom, I can envision a variety of uses for blogs. Once students are introduced to the structure, the opportunity for asynchronous collaboration provides classes with great flexibility. For instance, creating a sort of "blog-pal" relationship with classes in other states and time zones would be simple. The key is to show students the structure and let them explore the possibilities.



4 comments:

  1. Sam,
    I had the same issue with blogs - I never thought I had any use for them and honestly thought it was way too personal. I hardly share things on other social media sites, so blogging would be an indulgence to what I was used to. I am finding the same things as you, that this is not so bad and that I could definitely use it to help my teaching as well as in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maura and Sam, I still don't think I will have much use for blogs outside the realm of education. I share things occasionally on social media, but its usually done in a way that requires the least amount of typing. However, IN the realm of education, I see it as a great tool for students, teachers and ironically, administration.

      Delete
  2. I can see lots of possibilities and promise for the classroom as well. Both from the teacher standpoint and the for the students. Twitter is essentially a micro blogging platform, and it is one of richest resources for PLNs available. The resources you can find there are immense. Casual use by teachers can be very useful, but to really get the a rich benefit for the students I think sustained and long term goals are essential. I often see new tools picked up and used for a short time but then dropped as we move on to the next lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of "blog-pals" blogging with other classrooms. I think that it would be a great and safe way to start blogging with students. I'm almost positive that once students become comfortable with the structure of blogging they would run away with it. Whenever I think that something is going to be too difficult for my students they always seem to prove me wrong.

    ReplyDelete