Monday, March 3, 2014

Social Networking: Slippery Slope or Safe System of Sharing?

The world of social networks knows no bounds. Depending on the tool used, users can communicate and share information both synchronously and asynchronously. There are interest groups and forums for just about any topic imaginable. Many of us have used social networks for personal reasons for years. But do social networks have a legitimate spot in the classroom?

An application like Edmodo provides a safe, secure environment for students to communicate online. Teachers can set up groups within which students can have discussions, turn in assignments, and respond to polls. All communication is password-protected. Thus, safety is not an issue. However, teachers must set up groups in a clear manner and discuss expectations specifically with his or her class. Otherwise, conversations will digress. As long as the teacher defines objectives for discussions and assignments, this type of communication can be very powerful.

What about other applications? Facebook, for instance, is another incredibly useful tool. Many of our students are aware of Facebook, having created their own accounts or using older family members' accounts. Security, though, is a serious issue. Students can easily lie about their age, pretending to be older than they are. There are no safety features on Facebook that can keep students from accessing inappropriate information or communicating with strangers.

Do the rewards outweigh the risks? The bottom line is that our students are well aware of social networking outside of school. As with other technology tools, we, as teachers, are often the ones holding students back. There are great ways to provide students with safe opportunities to communicate via social networks. In order to achieve this, we must provide clear objectives and set up groups and prompts in such a way that communication is on-task and relevant.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you mentioned Edmodo- I've never looked into that! I toyed with the idea of getting a "Ms. Neumeister" Facebook page that I could post information on but then I realized that I did not want to be in a position where I could see my students' pages in case there was something posted that I would be responsible to report. I don't know that Facebook is necessary for the classroom, but I do use other things to communicate with my students such as Twitter (they can follow me but I do not follow them), Blackboard, and Remind101. I also think the wiki idea would be powerful!

    ReplyDelete